Mechanical Engineer V – Structures and Mechanisms
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Mechanical Engineer V – Structures and Mechanisms who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Mechanical Engineer who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Structures and Mechanisms Manager with the design and development of structural and mechanical components of the first commercial space station. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about spaceflight hardware development and excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Own the design, development, development, test, and evaluation of the structural and mechanical components that make up the module’s systems
• Perform analysis on designs through free-body diagrams, hand calculations, FEA, and CAD
• Deliver high-quality models and drawings in a fast-paced environment
• Accountable for your designs, calculations, analysis, and results
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers
• Systematically document progress, capture knowledge, and maintain an engineering notebook
• Other duties, as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field required
• 10+ years of experience in structural or mechanical engineering, or similar role
• Experience with SOLIDWORKS 3D modeling software or similar computer aided design tool
• Experience with PDM software such as SolidWorks Product Data Management (PDM) or similar
• Experience with FEA and software packages
• Experience creating engineering drawings and dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y-14
• Spaceflight hardware design background preferred
• Experience with Atlassian suite preferred
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Excellent mechanical design competence and engineering fundamentals
• Excellent interpersonal skill
• Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
• Excellent organizational skills
• Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
• Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.