OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Compliance Officer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. As the Compliance Officer, you will report to the Chief Counsel. In this role, you will ensure that all organizational departments are implementing rules that align with the company’s compliance needs in order to minimize risk. You will provide support and advice across various departments and will support Compliance requirements related to the government contracts, federal and state regulatory requirements and Shareholder Reporting.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Developing an annual compliance work plan, along with the Chief Counsel that reflects the organizational approach
• Explaining and defining a certain level of knowledge of compliance standards that each employee should have in various departments.
• Helping relevant parties understand certain applicable laws
• Assessing company operations to determine compliance and reputational risk
• Acting as the company’s point of contact for employees who have ethical concerns
• Working with Senior Management to mitigate risk
• Review company policies and practices to ensure that they align with enterprise ethics
• Ensuring that regulatory and compliance reports are filed timely and correctly
• Assisting in responding to regulatory inquiries
• Ensuring all compliance procedures are appropriately documented
• Addressing day to day compliance issues related to government contracts, private contracts, human resources policies and the application of technology related controls created and applied to the review of these processes
• Preparing documentation to support reviews and audits conducted
• Substantiating and demonstrating adequate processes/controls to meet various federal agency requirements and ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures
• Collaborating with members of the legal team to assess, document, monitor, report, develop, coordinate, and implement various compliance monitoring activities, ongoing testing, and related controls
• Ensuring all employees are educated on the latest regulations and processes
• Performing other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, economics, management, or another closely related field.
• JD from an accredited institution and holding an active law license from an applicable State Bar
• 7+ years in-house legal experience
• Experience in Microsoft office suite of applications
• Knowledge of legal implications and requirements of contract clauses including contract administration functions required to ensure compliance with contract documents and monitor subcontractor performance and resolve issues.
• Ensures regular training related to Compliance are delivered to applicable parties.
• Experience in applying specific situational information across broader Compliance themes and issues.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Must demonstrate experience in communicating changes in regulations across impacted businesses and leadership teams.
• Ability to interact/communicate well with all levels of employees as well as external contacts.
• Ability to drive projects successfully.
• Ability to work independently and in a group setting.
• Ability to accumulate, organize and assimilate large amounts of information.
• Ability to condense, refine, simplify, and communicate the purpose and significance of internal guidelines and external regulations.
• Fosters a business-focused culture of compliance: providing advice, guidance, and support for businesses; ensuring solutions compatible to compliance requirements and business leadership
• Strong ethics
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met in order to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10lbs and push or pull up to 5lbs.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.