Flight Operations Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Flight Operations Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Initially, the Flight Operations Engineer will support Axiom Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) flights to the International Space Station. In parallel, as the Axiom Station is designed and tested, the Flight Operations Engineer will collaborate with various core system engineering disciplines to develop the operations concepts, processes, on-orbit procedures, flight rules, software tools, console support products, and other documentation required to support Axiom Station assembly flights to ISS and eventually sustained Axiom and private astronaut presence onboard the Axiom Segment.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) Mission Planning and Execution
• Support a flight control discipline, train, and fly real-time Private Astronaut Missions (PAM) as part of the operations team at Axiom Space
• Aid in the development of the Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) flight control team’s operations, processes, procedures, tools, console support products, training, certification, and on-orbit procedures
• Consult and collaborate on integrated Inventory & Stowage management solutions that satisfy mission requirements across functional teams within the organization including but not limited to Spaceflight Operations Team, Mission Planning, Systems Engineering, and Customer Support
• Aid in development of Axiom’s overall approach to all required mission Operations Planning and Inventory & Stowage logistics management such as food, crew clothing, consumables, etc. via thoroughly researched options, experience/expertise and sound rationale
Axiom Station Flight Controller Support
• Support a flight control discipline (life support, electrical power, thermal control, guidance navigation & control, propulsion, communications & tracking, command & data handling, operations planning, systems maintenance & operations, etc.), train, and fly real-time missions as part of the operations team at Axiom Space
• Develop applicable Axiom Station system team’s operations concept, processes, procedures, tools, console support products, group documentation, training, certification, and on-orbit procedures
• Develop applicable Axiom Station integration products including test plans, regulatory documentation, system architecture and design solutions as related to operations, interface definitions, mission timelines, and procedures
• Aid in the development, management, and implementation of training plans for operations personnel at Axiom Space to cover real-time decision making, verbal communications, system technical knowledge and application, and failure response training
• Aid in development of personnel plans and performance tracking, scheduling, resource management (facilities, tools, software), and training materials for said training plans
• Perform other systems integration tasks as required, including bringing operational perspectives to systems architecture meetings, daily interaction with systems engineering test and verification teams, and leading discussions of operational significance to the program at various forums
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position may be posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related STEM field required.
• 5 to 10 years of relevant work experience in real-time space/mission operations
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Relevant Active Duty Military Operations will be considered
• Ability to read, analyze, interpret, create and execute contents of complex written documents
• Ability to understand and apply advanced logistical, scientific, technical, and/or mathematical concepts
• Ability to work with minimum supervision, define goals, set priorities & deadlines, identify key stakeholders, clearly communicate requirements of the position
• Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment and communicate effectively with all stakeholders and across disciplines
• Ability to create operational concepts, processes, procedures, desktop instructions, presentations, training materials, and certification guides
• Ability to effectively use industry standard software tools and programs, with a desire to innovate and push boundaries in how they are utilized, including but not limited to design, development, training, visualization, inventory management, logistics, data analytics, and project management
PC Skills: Proficiency with the suite of Microsoft Office tools. Expert use of Excel, with the ability to search beyond Excel for deliverable and tool solutions. Desired experience setting up Access Database or equivalent. Desired experience with software tool development and coding. Desired experience with 3D modelling and VR (Unity, Unreal, or equivalent). Desired familiarity with Jira and Confluence, and the Agile development process.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.