Machinist Level III
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Machinist Level III who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Machinist who will primarily be responsible for operating machines, following manufacturing processes, and supporting our manufacturing team in maintaining and developing the shop. A successful individual will use technical experience to evaluate engineering needs, be adaptable in the workplace, help develop manufacturing solutions, and establish efficient production methods. Familiarity with machining, manufacturing equipment, processes, and tools are essential. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills. This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collaborating with design, engineering, and production teams to develop manufacturing projects
• Use of hand tools, power tools, and machines to fabricate components
• Set up and maintenance of equipment and tools
• Manufacturing products from a variety of raw materials, including wood, metal, composites, and plastic
• Heavy lifting and handling of parts
• Operating shop equipment, such as drill presses, band saws, press brakes, grinders, and saws
• Operate multi-axis CNC mills and lathes
• Additional job duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• 8-12 years of professional machining experience, aerospace experience preferred
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Operational knowledge of shop equipment
• Knowledge of manufacturing, assembly, and inspection processes
• Knowledge of inspection equipment
• Comprehension of GD&T
• Operational knowledge of CNC equipment
• Knowledge of workholding and fixturing
• Ability to interpret schematics and assembly drawings
• Proficient using SolidWorks or similar computer aided design tools
• Programming of CAM systems a plus
• Knowledge of hyperMILL a plus
• Knowledge of DMG Mori machine tools a plus
• Knowledge of Siemens 840d a plus
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.