Vice President of Strategic Communications
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Vice President of Strategic Communications who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: The Vice President of Strategic Communications will report to Axiom’s Executive Vice President, Government Operations and Strategic Communications and will be responsible for building a communications organization that is highly analytical and performance driven, capable of supporting multiple stakeholders across multiple long-term, short-term, and immediate communications needs.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan for Axiom Space, encompassing all aspects of the corporate narrative, to include both internal and external audiences and stakeholders
- Recruit, train, mentor, grow, manage and retain communications leaders and practitioners
- Develop processes and set standards for strategic communications operations across the company
- Support revenue, marketing, government operations, investor relations, and engineering departments to meet company and business objectives.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to ensure consistent positioning and messaging across corporate verticals with media and key influencers
- Collaborate with the investor relations team through proactive media outreach in key market segments (and globally) and ensure that investor messaging is consistent with the broader company voice and communications
- Create processes to support strategic communications with creative services to help reach Axiom’s external and internal stakeholders, on various channels including social media
- Develop and implement communications plans to include establishing communications metrics appropriate to Axiom’s needs, defining a data-driven approach to audience segmentation and distribution channels, identifying key performance indicators, and tracking
- Elevate the voice of the CEO and other Executive team members through media interviews, social media, and speaking engagements
- Advise and coach the Executive management team on appropriate messaging and delivery across a broad range of situations and environments
- Develop a crisis communications strategy and plan and update it regularly, collaborating with both internal and external stakeholders as needed
- Develop, manage, and monitor communications budgets
- Manage agency providers, consultants, freelancers, and other suppliers, including contract negotiation and management
- Experience in strategic development and deployment of paid, earned, shared and owned media
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field required, MBA a plus
- 15+ years of experience in a senior corporate strategic communications role, with 5 plus at director level or above
- Proven track record developing and executing successful B2B, B2G, B2C corporate communications campaigns
- A fundamental understanding of the strategic communications process is required, including experience in developing appropriate metrics and measurement and applying results to test, iterate and inform decision making and strategy
- Demonstrated ability to learn, harmonize and distill complex technical concepts into clear and compelling communications
- Experience in a startup is a plus
- Knowledge of human spaceflight is a plus
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, and superb storytelling
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple products at once in an energizing, fast-paced and growing environment
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and interest in learning from peers
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.