Software Engineer – Vehicle Performance
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Software Engineer - Vehicle Performance who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. The Software Engineer will be responsible for the design, development, integration, and testing of performance analysis software for the space station.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Define and develop the software architecture and development roadmap for an integrated spacecraft performance software tool
• Create and test a software tool that integrates various analysis modules. Modules are built in a variety of languages including MATLAB, NASA Trick, C++, Octave, Excel
• Communicate with subject matter experts across disciplines, users, and management throughout the software test and development lifecycle
• Maintain disciplined software configuration control and management processes
• Serve as the software engineering/development lead subject matter expert
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, engineering, other STEM related field, or experience deemed equivalent by hiring manager
• Possess at least 2 years of relevant experience
• Demonstrate a strong background in software engineering
• Have experience with MATLAB, C++, and Python
• Candidates must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation
• Candidates must be able to present proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency
• Have experience with modeling and simulation preferred
• A candidate who has familiarity with NASA Trick simulation environment is highly desired but not required
• Possess 5-10 years of software experience preferred
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Be organized with the ability to prioritize and complete work in a dynamic environment
• Have the ability and desire to take ownership of tasks and drive them from beginning to end
• Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Maintain strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.