Deputy Lead, Assembly Integration and Test
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Deputy Lead, Assembly Integration and Test who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: AI&T is responsible for the design and implementation of all specialty hardware and facilities required to assemble, integrate, and test Axiom Station. AI&T is responsible for the integrated assembly, integration, and assembly planning, scheduling, procedural planning, and real time trouble shooting. AI&T works closely with the Systems Engineering & Integration (SE&I) and Verification & Validation (V&V) team to develop requirements for inspection and testing. AI&T collaborates with all Core teams to understand and influence design implementations, promote AI&T process compatibility, and to design, develop, and manufacture handling jigs, work aids, and transportation devices. AI&T supports and coordinates design, development, and commissioning of technical facilities to support Axiom Station Design, Development, Testing & Evaluation (DDT&E) and other engineering projects. AI&T’s planning and scheduling activities align processes, facilities, equipment, hardware and technical resources to ensure predictable outcomes that meet goals for quality, safety, cost, and schedule.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• AI&T Team growth and professional development
• Facilities, equipment and process & procedural planning, development, and commissioning
• Flight and Ground Support Equipment (GSE) planning, development, production, and commissioning
• Planning and execution of assembly, integration, and test activities for commercial space flight hardware
• Assist the AI&T Lead by representing the AI&T Lead and AI&T staff in multi-disciplinary meetings
• Prepare reports and following up on actions
• Coordinate resources and personnel to achieve optimal results within constraints
• Communicate regularly on behalf of the AI&T team with subsystem engineering and cross-cutting technical disciplines to ensure mutual recognition of dependencies and clear allocation of responsibilities and expectations
• Inform the development and utilization of Axiom Space’s testing facilities
• Liaise with Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I), Verification & Validation (V&V) and Quality teams to properly allocate responsibilities and develop mutually beneficial/efficient/accurate methods for managing resources.
• Assist to recruit, onboard, and coach new AI&T team members.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Bachelor's in Aerospace, Mechanical or other related engineering discipline
• 15+ years of engineering experience involving aerospace programs, preferably including human space flight programs
• Familiarity with system engineering practices
• Leadership experience involving a multi-disciplinary technical teams
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.