Extravehicular Activity Program Manager
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Job Title who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston Texas and be responsible for the overall management of the Extravehicular Activities (EVA) Space Suit Program through the full product life cycle (concept, design, build, test, assembly, integrate, certify, launch, operations, sustainment, etc) and Axiom’s facility development needs.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer of Axiom Space
- Serves as the primary contract manager and authorized to interface with the executive Extravehicular Activity (EVA) and Human Surface Mobility (HSM) Program, Government Contracting Officer (CO), the Contracting Officer's Representative (COR), and government management personnel and customer agency representatives.
- Ensure compliance with terms of the contract, task orders, and with government and company policies, standards, and procedures
- Ensure that contract and Task Order deliverables are submitted accurately and on-time
- Ensure that the work performed is at a level of quality, schedule, and cost that is consistent with the expectations for the company and customers.
- Coordinates and monitors the safety, technical performance, and program cost.
- Lead program support efforts for contract design milestone strategy and implementation and ensure successful milestone completion.
- Direct the work of managers and employees and ensure efficient utilization and availability of staff.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complex tasks and develop solutions to program problems
- Promote staff morale through proper compensation, training, and career development
- Coordinate monthly business rhythms to monitor and report schedule, budget, and risks for a highly complex EVA design, development test and evaluation (DDT&E) program
- Lead facility development needs and ensure infrastructure and personnel in place to support maintenance and operations, planning and development, security, and transportation needs.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- 15+ years’ experience as Program Manager supporting NASA EVA Spacesuit contracts
- Experience in managing government contracts with multiple contract types and established customer relationships
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related field
- Demonstrated experience managing technical teams in a dynamic operational environment
- Demonstrated strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop exceptional customer/partner relationships
- Strong consensus building and team building skills
- Demonstrated Risk/Opportunity management
- Experience with DDT&E and delivery of spaceflight hardware
- Understanding of Agile Process
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Well versed in Program Management principles
- Familiar with NASA flight hardware certification process and agile processes and methodologies
- Strong prioritization skills for managing complex program product backlog to a milestone drive schedule
- The candidate must be able to develop presentations on demand and produce quality results
- Candidate must be motivated and possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Candidate must be flexible in an environment of constantly changing requirements and work well within a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.