AI&T- Manufacturing Staff Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic AI&T - Manufacturing Staff Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas as part of a diverse and agile team of integrators and aerospace technicians in the Assembly, Integration, and Test (AI&T) team and will be responsible for designing, building, and testing instrumentation and control hardware for spacecraft system, ground support equipment, test support equipment, and test facilities.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee the development and implementation of approved assembly procedures, work processes and instructions developed for Assembly, Integration and Test processes.
• Provide guidance for manufacturability throughout the product life cycle.
• Oversee the creation and maintenance of the Manufacturing Bill of Material (BOM) to current revision levels.
• Maintain Manufacturing BOM’s per current engineering changes and updates.
• Oversee the maintenance of the Ground Support Equipment (GSE), Shop aids and assembly tooling.
• Assist in the development of assembly solutions.
• Perform drawing and spec reviews to ensure that the manufacturing processes meet the engineering requirements.
• Continually review cycle and overall assembly times to improve efficiency.
• Ensure timely processing of Assembly, Integration and Test documentation.
• Manage the support needed for document development and updates to support project needs.
• Proven knowledge of using MS Excel with data manipulation in the creation of reports, trackers and dashboards.
• Ability to compile, analyze and interpret data.
• Experience with creating documents in Confluence preferred.
• Experience with Agile/Jira methodology preferred.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering or related degree, or equivalent experience.
• 7 Plus years of related manufacturing experience in an Assembly, Integration and Test environment.
• Experience with Aerospace quality assurance practices.
• Working familiarity with OSHA and HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) best practices.
• May require occasional domestic and international travel.
• Proven knowledge of revision levels and data flow requirements in an Assembly, Integration and Test environment.
• Ability and experience communicating directly with stakeholders up to executive leadership to elicit requirements, request information and/or support, and follow-on actions.
• Demonstrated background working with multidisciplinary teams.
• Experience developing and utilizing report capabilities utilizing automated data systems (i.e., MS Access, Sharepoint, Visio, Excel Pivot Tables or other related system).
• Demonstrated time management and organization skills to meet tight deadlines and quality objectives.
• Candidate must also have some experience with performing/tracking duties pertaining to schedules.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.