Program Manager, In-Space Manufacturing and Research
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Program Manager, In- Space Manufacturing and Research who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. The Program Manager will support the Director of In-Space Manufacturing and Research. They will provide Axiom customers with successful outcomes through execution of programs that leverage Axiom Station and its vantage point in Low Earth Orbit (LEO). The Program Manager will leverage a team of world-class engineers building the world’s first human rated commercial space station, and employ defined strategies to deliver solutions to customers identified by business development teams. The ideal candidate will have experience in leading engineering and operations teams through large and complex aerospace projects while communicating milestones and progress to leadership staff. This role has a particular emphasis on data communication and external payload systems on human rated spacecraft. Some travel will be required.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Managing the cost and schedule for a portfolio of projects to deliver data communication and external payload systems accommodations on Axiom Station.
• Serve as customer advocate for translation of project requirements to internal engineering and operational teams for execution.
• Maintain expert-level knowledge about our products and our customers’ challenges and opportunities. You will be an expert on a designated portfolio of customers.
• Establish strong working relationships with Axiom Leadership Team and respective internal/external stakeholders.
• Lead efforts in understanding, managing and mitigating schedule, budget and risk activities to confirm program milestone expectations and delivery schedules.
• Develop, define, and manage program level metrics across the organization for understanding program cost, schedule and risk.
• Provide project management expertise and toolsets for the integration of various projects into defined programs.
• Help drive the overall architecture of solutions required to execute data communication and external payload systems on the Axiom Station and initial proof-of-concept studies on ISS as required.
• Serve as the point of contact for customers, represent Axiom at conferences, and design reviews
• Work with Axiom government affairs and strategic communications teams to develop marketing materials around programs and projects.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• BS, MS or ME in Science or Engineering disciplines; MS or ME preferred
• 7+ years of experience in project management; experience with spaceflight contracts preferred
• 3+ years of experience in program management, experience with spaceflight programs preferred
• Experience with data communication and external payload systems
• Experience with overall project leadership and support (scope definition, task planning, authoring technical/management volumes, Basis–of-Estimate development, etc.)
• Experience with human spaceflight and a systems engineering background preferred
• Experience to track and improve program performance metrics
• Payload integration experience on the International Space Station for spaceflight projects
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.