Mechanical Designer II
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Mechanical Designer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: The Mechanical Designer will design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems as well as perform design evaluations.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the design and development efforts for the Structures & Mechanisms team for Axiom Space's modules and station
- Work in a team environment to define and analyze requirements to implement design solutions.
- Design, develop, test, handle implementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform design evaluations on engineering solutions considering DFM/A
- Produce engineering drawings for the manufacturing of test/ground support equipment and flight hardware
- Prepare and present designs at various design reviews
- Produce other required design documentation
- Perform other duties as required
- Willingness to travel up to 5-10% is preferred
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Associates Degree in Engineering or related, similar, field required
- BS degree in Engineering or similar field is preferred
- 2 to 5 of years of design experience required
- Must have experience using solid modeling CAD software (e.g. SOLIDWORKS)
- Experience in mechanism design is preferred Skills
- Good strategic, creative, interpersonal skills
- Must be organized and maintain rigor in knowledge capture and other forms of documentation
- Ability to produce drawings using ASME Y14.5 standard for GD&T
- Familiarity with some structural analysis and comfortable using hand calculations to inform design
- Certification in SOLIDWORKS (CSWA, CSWP, CSWE) preferred
- Experience using PDM preferred
- Ability to develop full PMI in MBD preferred
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Results oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.