Level IV - AI&T Electrical Ground Support Equipment Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Level IV- AI&T Electrical Ground Support Equipment Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas as part of a diverse and agile team of integrators and aerospace technicians in the Assembly, Integration, and Test (AI&T) team and will be responsible for defining, designing, building, procuring, testing and/or operating electrical hardware Ground Support Equipment for spacecraft system interfaces and electronics through equipment lifecycle.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support the identification, design, development, and procurement activities for Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE), Electrical Test Support Equipment (ETSE), and process standards to address changing technical requirements.
• Provide test & verification expertise, including knowledge of specialty test methods such as power quality testing, EMI/EMC testing, communications systems testing, and/or test instrumentation.
• Act as AI&T liaison with the subsystem engineers to obtain EGSE interface and harness requirements and influence the end-to-end design while providing feedback to design engineers for test/design for manufacturing
• Create drawings, specifications, Interface Control Documents (ICD) for electrical EGSE and power harnessing and other documentation; and ensures documentation meets various compliance, reporting, and safety standards.
• Work with the rest of the AI&T team to ensure that the EGSE works in harmony with the MGSE, Test Support Equipment, tools, facilities, and the hardware that the EGSE supports
• Define, select, and integrate EGSE using a mixture of custom, internally manufactured, and COTS hardware
• Inform and manage EGSE cost and schedule to ensure they meet program goals
• Plan and conduct EGSE activation, verification tests, troubleshooting, and data reviews
• Support test and debug for flight and non-flight spacecraft electronic assemblies and avionics boxes at an integrated level
• Support NASA or Axiom Space milestone/gated reviews including PDR, CDR, SDR, FRR, etc.
• Participate in Axiom’s integration & test working groups to provide EGSE technical input
• Plans and coordinates the maintenance of electrical test equipment and technical process standards
• Prepare training for the EGSE and support operational training for its users
• Manage the day to day EGSE hardware needs for the multiple spacecraft programs
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering required (Computer / Electrical preferred).
• 7 to 10 years of professional experience of related technical hands-on experience in defining, designing, building, procuring, testing and/or operating electrical hardware Ground Support Equipment and/or wiring harnesses for spaceflight electronics
• Expertise in harness schematic, assembly, and installation designs for space vehicles and sensors
• Previous experience with the successful design and delivery of spacecraft and/or aircraft DC harnesses and RF cables.
• Experience developing/supporting acceptance and qualification test plans at a system or integrated level
• Experience interfacing electrical/avionics equipment with flight network systems
• Knowledge of systems engineering practices, fabrication and assembly processes, and quality control principles.
Hands-on familiarity with electrical test methods and test equipment (e.g., multimeters, milliohm meters, megaohm meters, power quality analyzers, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, power supplies, etc.)
• Knowledge of industry standards for cables, wires, connectors, and contacts – desirably for rack certification, IPC J-STD-001 soldering, NASA 8739.4 Crimp, Cable, and Harnessing requirements
• Occasional travel may be required (5-10%)
• Strong technical writing and communication skills
• Some experience with 3D CAD software (SolidWorks preferred) is desirable
• Excellent computer skills (MS Windows & Office)
• Experience working in a SCRUM/AGILE environment highly desired
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.