AI&T Test Operations - Senior Staff Technician
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic AI&T Test Operations- Senior Staff Technician who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This multidisciplinary position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas as part of a diverse and agile team of integrators and aerospace technicians in the Assembly, Integration, and Test (AI&T) team and will primarily be responsible for aiding our team with staging, setting up, assembling of flight hardware and test equipment per technical work instructions and ensure the highest level of quality to support the successful launch of our space station modules. We are looking for an individual who is motivated, passionate about space, and excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Aid in design and build of test articles, test stands, andsystems for test operations
• Fabricate, assemble, and maintain high-pressure pneumatic andhydraulic fluid systems as needed for test stands from a schematic orengineering drawing including but not limited to ball valves, check valves,pressure regulators, and pressure gauges.
• Install instrumentation and wire harnesses for ground supportelectro-mechanical test equipment and spaceflight harnesses that connect totest articles
• Manage and maintain test areas by performing routinemaintenance functions such as daily clean-up to support 5S, FOD, and ESD asrequired to maintain an operational AI&T site
• Perform test tasks as required in a variety of roles forvehicle integration, subsystems, mockups, joint tests, facility test equipment,ground support equipment, and any other general test tasks as required toexecute test operations
• Work with engineers to provide guidance and recommendations ondesign for testability and manufacturability
• Work collaboratively with engineering, support detailed testactivity planning, test readiness reviews, spacecraft transportation, and launchsupport as needed
• Provide technical guidance to more junior technicians toensure every system is built with the highest level of quality
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• High School diploma or equivalent certificate with 10 to 15 years in mechanical assembly and/or integration experience.
• 3+ years of experience with one of more of the following: working with and troubleshooting mechanical systems, high pressure fluid systems, propellant systems, or test operations
• Knowledge of pressure and electrical systems
• Basic experience operating environmental test chambers (i.e., thermal, vacuum, etc.) and vibe tables
• Knowledge of fittings (NPT, MS, AN, Swagelok, medium pressure) and/or orbital welding
• Able to use basic and advanced hand tools as well as measuring and torquing devices
• Moderate machining and fabrication knowledge/skills including bending, flaring, assembling of metallic and flexible tubing
• Experience operating heavy lifting equipment such as cranes and forklifts around flight critical hardware
• Must be able to comprehend and provide input to procedures, drawings, blueprints, electrical schematics, P&ID’s, hazard analyses, and job safety analyses
• Experience with test operations procedures and safe handling of flight part
• Able to abide by all Axiom/NASA safety requirements
• Ability to handle multiple assignments and working in a dynamic environment
• Occasional travel may be required (5-10%)
• Knowledge of LabVIEW and National Instrument (NI) hardware integration preferred
• A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) license or military aviation experience as a propulsion or airframe technician preferred
• Basic experience with 3D CAD software (SolidWorks preferred)
• Basic computer skills (MS Windows & Office)
• Experience working in a SCRUM/AGILE environment highly desired
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 50lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• May require working at elevated heights (up to 300 feet) for minimal periods of times)
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
• Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
• Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
• Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
• Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
•Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
• Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.