Payload Systems Engineering Project Manager
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Payload Systems Engineering Project Manager who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Axiom Payloads Systems group is looking for an energetic and dynamic project manager who will represent the team as a contact point for projects involving the development of interface hardware for internal and external payload systems, multi-use payload facilities such as on-orbit workstations. This position will require the candidate to initiate and participate in project planning and development, monitor project progress by setting deadlines, solve issues, manage budgets, ensure stakeholder satisfaction, and review project performance and milestones throughout the entire life cycle. This role requires a disciplined self-starter with strong organizational, time management, comprehension, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and document a detailed engineering payload project for human spaceflight, including overall plans, schedules, requirements, testing, and validation products
- Establish and maintain overall project schedules by tracking budgets, key milestones, and final engineering deliverables
- Manage all expectations and communication with engineering vendors including organization of regular meetings with Axiom and vendor personnel to support project expectation, milestones, and deliver
- Assist the Systems Engineering team (SE&I) with facility payload integration milestones including but not limited to design reviews, operations reviews, flight and ground safety reviews, verification and certification reviews.
- Organize and lead internal payload engineering meetings to support payload development schedules, mitigate potential issues and develop client-friendly solutions in coordination with the in-space manufacturing and research team
- Support proposal development including task/milestone definition and detailed cost/schedule estimates
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, project management, or science
- 5+ years experience as a project manager in the aerospace industry, or similar role
- Experience using Agile and waterfall project management methodologies
- Experienced in managing spaceflight projects of different sizes from start to finish
- Experience in organization of technical reviews for payload development projects
- PMP certificate a plus
- Experience with Jira, P6, and MS Project a plus
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.