Commercial Innovation Strategy Lead
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Commercial Innovation Strategy Lead who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: The Commercial Innovation Strategy Lead (Innovation Lead) will support the Director of In-Space Manufacturing and Research. The Innovation Lead will demonstrate an ability to develop, refine and execute on targeted business development strategies focused on engagement, activation and conversion of commercial customers and partners in specific industrial sectors. The end goal of these strategies is conversion of prospects into clients via a thorough understanding of the Company’s value proposition and by cultivating new relationships that are aligned with the company’s needs to achieve sales and profitability. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing strategies that lead to the maturation of business verticals in the areas of in-space manufacturing, microgravity research and space exploration systems maturation with a particular focus on physical and materials sciences supporting growth of the overall low earth orbit (LEO) economy
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop innovative business strategies for the organization that align with Axiom’s corporate objectives and revenue targets in the areas of physical and materials sciences.
• Define acquisition strategy for sales pipelines through research and monitoring of relevant market development activities.
• Work with corporate venture to develop investment strategies focused on developing emerging markets for low earth orbit.
• Establish innovative pipelines for revenue growth through research or technology development programs.
• Lead formation of relevant consortia and conferences that lead to pipelines for revenue growth through participation or membership in organizations or committees.
• Incubate corporate and research partnerships with commercial companies, national laboratories, universities or international partners.
• Utilize professional business development techniques and knowledge of company offerings to lead identification, proposal, negotiation and closure of enterprise services deals.
• Define new use cases for Axiom offerings and work with design and engineering teams to iterate on and improve company offerings.
• Identify and enlist the support of sales specialists, product teams, and management resources as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
• MS required, PhD in a relevant biological, physical science or engineering field preferred
• Minimum 7 years business development experience in the space industry required
• Additional 2-4 years of experience in science or engineering academic research preferred
• Experience within target industry sectors across multiple portions of the product lifecycle (concept definition through operations and use).
• Established professional network with target industry sectors
• Experience with human spaceflight preferred
• Experience with proposal leadership and support (scope definition, task planning, authoring technical/management volumes, Basis–of-Estimate development, etc.)
• Experience working with and proposing to U.S. Government research agencies (e.g. NIH, NASA, DOD, etc.)
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
• Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
• Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
• Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
• Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
• Equipment and Machines
• Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
• Ability to effectively describe how microgravity affects physical, chemical and biological processes
• Ability to understand the impacts of the outer space environment on spacecraft, research and manufacturing systems installed inside and outside of pressurized spacecraft modules
• Ability to effectively translate company’s value proposition into a compelling case
• Ability to understand customer base and to influence them with innovative approaches
• Proficient with some or all of the following software: CRM, SEO, analytics, email marketing, design, virtual conference and presentation platforms
• Professional, confident, driven and dynamic
• Exceptional strategic, creative, interpersonal skills
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.