Payload Systems Design Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Payload Systems Design Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Design Engineer who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Payloads Systems Engineering Team with developing mechanical designs for interface hardware for customer payloads that will fly into space and be installed on Axiom station habitation modules. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about customer service and engineering and looks to excel in their technical design role as a pioneer of new spaceflight hardware. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, integrate, and document structural and payload interface hardware designs for both internal and external payload systems on human spaceflight modules
- Gather information and cultivate knowledge of current designs and future trends in human-tended payload systems for commercial and government customers in the space industry
- Collaborate with multiple engineering disciplines related to spacecraft design to include structural engineering, life support, crew systems, and avionics
- Perform detailed calculations to determine the structural integrity of mechanical joints such as welds and fasteners
- Assist in the development of fracture control assessment, failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA), and fatigue-life analysis of flight hardware
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required
- 0 - 5 years of engineering experience
- Involvement in space and/or human spaceflight related activities in their personal or professional life
- Working knowledge of 3-D CAD tools (Solidworks)
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent comprehension skills with ability to quickly align solutions with client objectives
- Results-oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.