Rocket Propulsion Subsystem Test & Verification Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic rocket propulsion subsystem test & verification engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas and will be primarily focused on defining and implementing our test & verification planning and implementation. This role will encompass all test and verification activities for space systems development. Prior experience developing space systems for challenging environments and missions is expected.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for or medical or religious accommodation is necessary
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and implement the test & verification approach for rocket propulsion subsystem hardware.
• Provide test & verification expertise, including knowledge of specialty test methods such as rocket motor testing, fuel/oxidizer tank testing, proof pressure testing, leak testing, oxygen compatibility testing, and/or test instrumentation.
• Work with NASA International Space Station Program engineers to integrate test & verification activities for rocket propulsion subsystem.
• Review and contribute to supplier test & verification plans.
• Collaborate with system and subsystem engineers, program office personnel, and customers for test & verification planning, scheduling, and execution.
• Support the identification, design, development, and procurement activities for Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and Test Support Equipment.
• Establish relationships with third-party environmental test facilities and coordinate test planning, schedules, & logistics.
• Prepare technical documentation and presentations for peers, management, and external customers and partners.
• Perform other test & verification engineering tasks as necessary.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering (aerospace, mechanical, or related discipline)
• A minimum of 10 years of direct experience in engineering test- & verification-focused activities, including planning, development, and execution.
• A broad background in space systems test & verification engineering is desired, including an understanding of space vehicle design, space system architecture development, ground systems support, payloads, and space missions and operations development.
• Detailed knowledge of spaceflight subsystems and functions is desired, preferably human spaceflight related experience.
• Related experience in the testing of spacecraft, space vehicles, and their related components and systems is desired.
• Experience with the use of test and measurement equipment for testing and troubleshooting.
• Effective in working in a start-up environment with the ability to lead, drive, and implement tactical change.
• A strong attention to detail while appreciating the bigger picture of the complex and ambitious projects that we take on.
• Demonstrated leadership and extensive collaboration skills are a must.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
• Effective in small teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
• Excellent interpersonal skill
• Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
• Excellent organizational skills
• Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
• Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.