Life Support System Deputy Team Lead
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Life Support System Deputy Team Lead who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Life Support System Deputy Team Lead who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Environmental Control Life Support Systems with coordinating logistics for our private and professional astronaut clients throughout their mission. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about customer service and excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Help lead a collaborative team developing a variety of life support technologies for future spacecraft and space suits
· Provide systems and technical engineering support for the Axiom life support architecture
· Develop and aid management of ECLSS requirements
· Ensure designs satisfy requirements and demonstrate performance in a thorough verification and validation program.
· Assist in developing and maintaining work tasks, integrated schedules, and test plans
· Interface with management and SE&I representatives
· Perform trade studies for technology development and sizing
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- BS Degree in in engineering or related space science/physics
- Minimum of 10 + years of recent experience in the aerospace industry
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Effective in working in a start-up environment with the ability to lead, drive, and implement tactical change
- Communication Skills—Ability to understand, analyze and interpret business periodicals, technical procedures, or government policy
- Able to write reports, correspondence, and operations procedures. Uses effective written, visual presentation, and oral strategies to communicate technical problems and concepts to a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to meet objectives
- Strong background with life support system technologies or spacesuits
- Experience operating in an Agile development environment
- Familiarity with flight hardware development and certification
- M.S. or PhD in engineering or related space science/physics a plus
- Hands on experience building, testing, and/or assembling hardware
- Experience with requirements definition and management.
- Familiarity with dual fault-tolerance strategies and architectures for safety and mission-critical systems.
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication method
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.