Lead Structures & Mechanisms Engineer
Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Our mission-driven team is seeking bold and dynamic engineers who are preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. The Lead Structures & Mechanisms Engineer will work in a collaborative engineering team environment to produce spacecraft structures for a commercial human spaceflight module.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop structural engineering specifications required for spacecraft structural and mechanism design
· Design, analyze, test, and verify hardware to the required material including stress, loads, fracture mechanics, dynamics (acoustic and vibration), thermal
· Use the generated models to test damage tolerance, durability, and stability in order to determine structural configurations
· Perform trade studies for technical solutions, including make/buy recommendations
· Develop interface control/requirement documentation for connection to the International Space Station
· DDT&E and integration for spacecraft structures
· Perform parametric sizing and determine optimal configurations for varying design inputs and requirements
· Resolve problems encountered in testing and verification processes
· Drive team to a successful launch and integration to the ISS by 2024
Education & Experience
· 15+ years working in an S&M role
· B.S. in Engineering, Math or Science required (graduate degree preferred)
· 7+ years of experience in management/leading teams
· Experience developing spaceflight hardware structure including the following materials: metallic, non-metallic, composite
· Experience in structural modeling, analysis, manufacturing, and testing
· Proven ability to lead technical teams
· Ability to balance work assignments across team members
· Perform employee performance appraisals and develop annual development plans and mentor team members
· Ability to lead a team to produce results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Assist HR Hiring Manager with job requisitions and candidate interviews and assessments
· Demonstrable mastery/success of structural design, development, test and verification
· Use computer-aided design, mathematical models, and other computer software to formulate, analyze, and modify designs and drive toward ideal solutions
· Entrepreneurial mindset, eager to solve problems and identify original opportunities
· Shows commitment to inspiring and mentoring others
· Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
· Can balance speed of innovation with the rigors and discipline required of human spaceflight
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits the organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
· Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
· Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless a reasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will be required to work on-site.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected