Embedded Linux Software Engineer
Overview: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking bold and dynamic engineers who are preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
Summary: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas. The Avionics Embedded Linux Software Engineer will be responsible for the design, development and test of software for the space station.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment
Duties and Responsibilities:
• This position will play a key role in the development of embedded Linux software for commercial human spaceflight modules.
• Responsibilities will include creating an embedded Linux distribution for custom hardware including device tree creation, kernel and U-boot configuration, custom driver development, root filesystem configuration, etc.
• Create, test, and integrate embedded Linux software in prototype and flight environments.
• Maintain disciplined software configuration control and management processes.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science required.
• Experience with building and developing software for embedded Linux systems, especially porting existing distributions to new boards.
• Familiar with standard embedded Linux development tools like Yocto, Buildroot, U-boot and Linux Kconfig system, Busybox, GCC, Makefiles, etc.
• Proficient with code in C/C++ and shell scripts.
• Strong knowledge of Linux system administration, especially early system initialization and networking configuration.
• Extraordinarily organized, able to prioritize and follow through on all work
• Excellent communicator who is flexible and accessible
• Ability to handle multiple assignments and work in a dynamic environment
• Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis or race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.