Deputy Chief & Corporate Counsel
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Deputy Chief and Corporate Counsel who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This position will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas and will support the Chief Counsel, Axioms Legal and Corporate Operations teams. The Deputy Chief & Corporate Counsel will focus on:
• Resolutions Drafting
• Organizational Policies
• Board Matters
• Bylaws and Organizational Documents
• Corporate Secretary Support
• Organizational Planning and Reporting
• Annual Strategic and Operating Plan Support
• Entity formation and related work
• Manage duties of Chief Counsel as needed
• Perform other duties as required
• Due diligence and deal matters
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for or medical or religious accommodation is necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Must work and interact effectively and professionally with and for others throughout various levels of the organization with minimal supervision
• Draft, negotiate, and review a wide variety of commercial contracts, policies, procedures, and mission critical legal content
• Prepare the appropriate legal documents for trial or court proceedings and as necessary represent the company in legal proceedings alongside outside counsel
• Evaluate new business partnerships with vendors, subcontractors, and other entities
• Insurance – manage company insurance programs, including Annual Company Renewals and portfolio Management
•Design and oversee the company’s policy and position on legal matters
• Protect the company against legal risks and violations
• Examine the legal issues related to new products and services
• Negotiate deals on behalf of the company
• Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Licensed to practice law from the State Bar Association
• A minimum of 9 years of experience as a corporate lawyer
• Bachelor's degree in a Business, Engineering, Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering a plus but not required
• Experience with software and information technology policies and agreements a plus but not required
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
• Highly analytical with a strong attention to detail
• Outstanding managerial and negotiation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skill
• Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
• Excellent organizational skills
• Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
• Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
• Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
• Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.